This week we are focusing on how we can TAKE NOTICE to support our mental and emotional wellbeing.
Take notice is about taking a little bit of time each day to stop, pause, be still, look around you and:
- focus your attention on the present moment;
- be aware of your thoughts, feelings and emotions;
- appreciate the world and people around you; and
- enjoy and savour the moment and environment
Being aware in the present moment – of your own thoughts and feelings and to the world around – can support and improve mental and emotional wellbeing by helping us to feel calm and relaxed and to think more positively. It can help us to connect and understand ourselves and the world and people around us and appreciate things we may normally take for granted.
Try to make time every day to take notice and pay more attention to the present moment. Here are a few ideas how you can take notice:
- acknowledge your thoughts and feelings as they happen and be kind to yourself;
- take notice of beauty in nature and the changing season;
- reflect on your day and experiences;
- make a note of things you are thankful for or things that make you smile;
- reduce time spent browsing social media and the internet and watching TV and news reports;
- get a plant for your home or desk space;
- practice breathing exercises, mediation or yoga;
- sit silently and pay attention to the sights, sounds and smells around you
Taking notice and being consciously aware of your body sensations, thoughts, feeling and emotions can help us understand our feelings and recognise signs of stress and feelings of anxiety and help us the better manage these feelings.
Once we recognise these emotions it is important to steps to manage this:
- This booklet provides tips and practical advice on coping with stress in your life. It covers areas such as recognising stress, coping better, learning from bad experiences and taking action now.
- An online programme of stress control classes has been developed. These sessions are effective in helping to reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. Topics covered include an overview of what
stress is, controlling your body, your thoughts, controlling your actions, techniques to get a good night’s sleep.
- Visit the COVIDWellbeing NI Hub for more resources and self-help guides on how to manage stress or feelings of anxiety.